For the longest time I was under the impression that making homemade tortillas would be impossible. So when I discovered this recipe from Earth Balance I figured I might as well give it a shot. Turns out it’s super easy and delicious!
See the full recipe here
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance soy-free Buttery Spread (When I don’t have this I just use olive oil)
- 5/8 cup water
1. Put all the ingredients (NOT THE WATER) in a food processor or bowl.
2. Slowly add the water and mix until everything is in a dough ball.
3. Break into smaller sections (usually about 8-10 small balls)
4. Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat
5. Flatten out into small circles; Use rolling pin to roll out into thin “tortillas”
6. Once skillet/pan is heated place 1 “tortilla” on it; Flip after 15-20 seconds
Tip: When a bubble forms, pop it before you flip it.
7. After cooking on both sides remove from heat & they’re good to go
Uh…nom nom nom, am I right?!
Give them a try and let me know how it goes!